34 US warships to guard Obama in India
NEW DELHI: The White House will, of course, stay in Washington but the heart of the famous building will move to India when President Barack Obama lands in Mumbai on Saturday.
Communications set-up, nuclear button, a fleet of limousines and majority of the White House staff will be in India accompanying the President on this three-day visit that will cover Mumbai and Delhi.
He will also be protected by a fleet of 34 warships, including an aircraft carrier, which will patrol the sea lanes off the Mumbai coast during his two-day stay there beginning Saturday. The measure has been taken as Mumbai attack in 2008 took place from the sea.
Arrangements have been put in place for emergency evacuation, if needed.
Obama is expected to fly by a helicopter -- Marine One -- from the city airport to the Indian Navy's helibase INS Shikra at Colaba in south Mumbai.
From there, he will drive down in Lincoln Continental -- the Presidential limousine -- to the nearby the Taj Hotel.
Two jets, armed with advanced communication and security systems, and a fleet of over 40 cars will be part of Obama's convoy.
Around 800 rooms have been booked for the President and his entourage in Taj Hotel and Hyatt.
The President will have a security ring of American elite Secret Service, which are tasked to guard the President, along with National Security Guards (NSG) and personnel from central paramilitary forces and local police in Mumbai and Delhi.
Similar arrangements will be in place in Delhi, with the Air Force One to be kept in all readiness throughout Obama's stay here from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday morning.
Maurya Hotel, where the President will stay, has already been swarmed by American security personnel and protective measures have been put in place.
Security drills are already been carried out at the hotel as well as Rajghat which he will visit.
10 foreign terrorists now in RP: expert
MANILA, Philippines – Ten foreign nationals who are suspected members of a terror group are now in the Philippines, an intelligence expert warned Thursday.
The 10 are reportedly meeting with leaders of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) and other militant groups in the country, said Professor Rommel Banlaoi of the Philippine Institute for Peace, Violence, and Terrorism.
Banlaoi, however, could not confirm if the arrival of the said foreign nationals has something to do with the new threat of terrorism not only in the Philippines but in other countries, particularly the United States.
Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesman Senior Superintendent Agrimero Cruz, meanwhile, said police have not recorded the entry of foreign terrorists in the country.
“As per our intelligence reports, there are no foreign terrorists in the country; no movements in local terror groups, either,” he said.
Former PNP intelligence chief retired Chief Superintendent Rodolfo “Boogie” Mendoza Jr., on the other hand, confirmed reports that terrorists are planning to attack vital government installations and tourist areas in Metro Manila and other places in the country.
Citing reports coming from independent sources, Mendoza said the terrorism threat is real, and that police discovered it as early as last year. [The same police who now say they have no records of foreign terrorists entering the country? - ed.]
Mendoza said that as far as he knows, the terrorists’ plan to attack Manila was initially intended to be launched before the May 10 presidential elections.
The plan, however, was never executed.
It was only this week that the threat re-surfaced as confirmed by his sources from the Muslim community.He added that the group out to sow terror is a composite team from the ASG, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front’s Special Operations Group, and Southeast Asian militant organization Jemaah Islamiyah.The objective of the group is to make their presence felt so that they can unlock funds coming from international terrorists group, he revealed.
According to Mendoza this is the same group that was involved in the Rizal Day bombing of the Light Rail Transit in December 2000 and the Valentine's Day bombing in 2005.
The Armed Forces said they are not taking the threat for granted.
“We have been getting all sorts of reports such as this from various sectors about terrorist groups coming in,” said Brigadier General Jose Mabanta, Armed Forces spokesman.
“But at this time there is nothing certain about these reports. However, all of these will be considered and reports such as this should not be taken for granted.” -- from a report by Henry Omaga-Diaz, ABS-CBN News
The tunnel people of Las Vegas: How 1000 live in flooded labyrinth under Sin City's shimmering strip
Deep beneath Vegas’s glittering lights lies a sinister labyrinth inhabited by poisonous spiders and a man nicknamed The Troll who wields an iron bar.
But astonishingly, the 200 miles of flood tunnels are also home to 1,000 people who eke out a living in the strip’s dark underbelly....
‘These are normal people of all ages who’ve lost their way, generally after a traumatic event,’ he said.
‘Many are war veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress.
‘It’s not known how many children are living there, as they’re kept out of sight, but I’ve seen evidence of them – toys and teddy bears.’
"American security forces for their President Barack Obama
arrive at the Taj hotel in Mumbai, India, Nov. 4, 2010.
U.S. President Obama will arrive
in India's financial capital of Mumbai on Nov. 6."